“If I Built a School” by Chris Van Dusen is about a young boy who has his own ideas about how a school should be built. His school looks like an amusment park and it reminded me of the cartoon, “The Jetsons,” also. I do not think there would be a child in the world that would turn down an invite to his school! The book give many options or ideas to me for hands on activities to make learning fun.
- Give out shoe boxes and let students build their ideal school.
- Lego blocks could be another option for building a school.
- Have students draw their school building floor plan, then the school.
- Popsicle Sticks and wood shapes, for older students, would be another building idea.
- If you are daring fill your room with cardboard boxes and let them build their school.
Chris Van Dusen also has other books on building.
Copy on Stiff Paper only
Cut the two side doors on both side ( for the rocker to slide through)
Cut and Tape or Glue
Copy two on Stiff paper
Slide through the side slit doors